Services for the over sixties
Specialist services for conditions that occur as we get older
Services for over sixties
As we get older we have to deal with multiple different medical conditions which can result in pain and reduced activity levels. Subsequently our joints can get stiffer, our muscles can become weaker and less flexible and our body isn’t as able to cope with the demands that we put on it – this can lead to reduced confidence and avoiding certain activities. This can also make getting to a clinic or hospital difficult.
At Physio at Yours we can provide specialist assessment and treatment at your home in order to avoid the complications mentioned above. We can provide you with advise on the safest way to exercise or return to physical activity, giving you the confidence and your body the ability to deal with the demands you want to put on it!
We have years of experience in dealing with people with dementia. We are able to:
- Encourage and give strategies on how to maintain mobility to delay a decline in function
- Provide advise, support and education on manual handling and positioning for care homes or carers
- Identify and help in the management of pain and contractures
- Advise on suitable exercises to increase strength and balance to prevent falls from happening
- Offer chest physiotherapy
- Offer interaction, stimulation and exercise that can help to improve levels of alertness and mood
- Manage other co-morbidties or chronic conditions
By having Physio at Yours involved we can help to improve the quality of life for people with dementia and their carers.
There are various risk factors which can contribute to patients falling including; lack of physical activity resulting in loss of muscle tone, decreased bone mass, poor balance, reduced flexibility, trip hazards in your home, impaired vision, lots of medications and other medical conditions such as: Parkinson’s, dementia, stroke and arthritis, surgery.
The Physiotherapist at Physio at Yours can:
- Carry out a multi-factorial risk assessment to identify the causes of your falls
- Provide you with an evidence based exercise programme to increase your strength, balance and mobility
- Offer advise and education on how to reduce your risk of falling and what to do if you do fall
- Build your confidence up and reduce your fear of falling
Our ultimate goal is to get you as independent as possible, as quickly as possible.
There is evidence that suggests that half of people who fall will fall again in the next 12 months
10-25% of fallers will sustain a serious injury
Injury due to falls is leading cause of mortality in people aged over 75 in UK
Recurrent falls are associated with increased mortality, increased hospitalisation and higher rates of long term care.Physio Works: Falls and Frailty
After my Dad’s fall, he was terrified that he would have another one. The physiotherapist came round to his home, made recommendations on things that he should change (like moving rugs & things that he could trip over on), she did a thorough assessment and then gave him some brilliant exercises that made him stronger, made his balance better and even taught him how to get up from the floor if he did fall again. He now feels so much more confident & so do I- thank youChristine Jackson